Saturday, July 23, 2016

Men of the Post Apocalyptic Wasteland

I've long felt that the Men entry in Mutant Future just does NOT do justice to the post apocalyptic setting. So I long pondered what I would do to rectify that. This is a fairly rough and ready option to replace the existing entry. There are some other things I want to play around with for this, mostly with equipping the various types of men.

Men, Revised


Cultist Marauder Pirate Raider
No. Enc.: 1d10 (10d10) 2d10 (2d10x10) See below 2d10 (2d10x10)
Alignment: See below Chaotic Chaotic Chaotic
Movement: 120’ (40’) 120’ (40’) 120’ (40’) 120’ (40’)
Armor Class: 9 Varies Varies Varies
Hit Dice: 1 1 1 1
Attacks: 1 1 1 1
Damage: 1d6 or weapon type 1d6 or weapon type 1d6 or weapon type 1d6 or weapon type
Save: L1 L1 L1 L1
Morale: 6 9 7 8
Hoard Class: XIV XXII XXII XXII
XP: 10 10 10 10

Savage Trader Tribal Wastelander
No. Enc.: 1d6 (3d10) 1d4 (4d5) plus guards 1d4 (5d6x10) 1d6+1 (1d6+1x10)
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral Neutral Neutral
Movement: 120’ (40’) 90’ (30’) 120’ (40’) 120’ (40’)
Armor Class: 9 or 8 9 to 5 See below 9
Hit Dice: 1+1 1 1 1
Attacks: 2 1 1 1
Damage: 1d6 or weapon type 1d6 or weapon type 1d6 or weapon type 1d6 or weapon type
Save: L1 L1 L1 L1
Morale: 11 See below 7 6
Hoard Class: I XXII (x number of traders) XXII II
XP: 15 10 10 10

Cultist
Cultists are groups who have a specific form of worship. Roll 1d10 on the following table to determine a cults basic form of worship:
  1. Psychic Cult – Comprised of mutants with mental mutations, exclude all others. AL N
  2. Totemic Cult – These cultists worship some animal derived higher being. AL N
  3. Apocalyptic Cult – These cultists want to cause death and destruction. AL C
  4. Cargo Cult – Worship some odd icon or other from before the apocalypse. AL N
  5. Idealogical Cult – Worship some political, econmoic, religious, or philosophical idea from before the apocalypse. AL Any
  6. Racial Cult – This cult discriminates against some other race. AL C
  7. Technology Cult – Cults that worship technology from before the apocalypse, either in general (AL L), or a specific type or piece of technology (AL N) or seek to destroy all pre-apocalypse technology (AL C).
  8. Alien Cult – Worship of extraterrestrial beings. AL C
  9. Personality Cult – Generally a cult devoted to a single person. AL Any
  10. Occult Cult – Rare cults that worship magic, satanism, or the Cthulhu Mythos. AL C
A group of cultists will always be accompanied by priests and other characters. These people may be acting as leaders, guards, or laypeople. Groups of cultists always include 1d6 2nd-level priests, 1d4 4th-level priests, one or two 6th-level, and one 8th-level priest (accompanied by one 3rd- and one 5th-level assistant). For every 10 cultists, there is a 10% chance of 1d8 guards (1st-8th level) and 1d6 mutants (2nd-7th level). There is a 5% chance per 10 cultists of a mutant of 6th-9th level. If the cultists are lawful, the guards will be equipped as marauders; if the cultists are neutral, the guards will be equipped as raiders; if the cultists are chaotic, the guards will be equipped as savages armed only with daggers or knives.
About 75% of cult bands encountered are on foot.

Marauder
Marauders are loosely organized militia deserters and renegade mercenaries who live by raiding towns and robbing caravans and travelers. They may attempt to waylay the chamcters in order to acquire their equipment; eapscially if there seems to be a good chance of doing so at little cost. In some circumstances, a marauder band may be friendly (wanting to trade, acquire infomation, gain recruits, e&.), but marauders are notorious for their betrayals.
For every 10 marauders there is one additional 2nd level corporal who acts as their leader. For every 40 marauders there is an additional 4th level sergeant.
Half of all marauders are equipped with blades, submachine guns, and ballistic vests. The other half is better equipped with assault rifles, grenades, combat helmets and ballistic vests. NCOs will often be equipped with a special heavy weapon (roll 1d6: 1 – missile launcher, 2 – grenade launcher, 3 – flame thrower, 4 – machine gun, 5 – sniper rifle, 6 – automatic shotgun). Officers are equipped with assault rifles, grenades, and combat armor.
Marauders often band together in fortified camps of 50-300 men. A camp is always led by a 9th level commander, with an additional 5th level lieutenant for every 100 marauders. An 8th level mutant human may be present in a camp (1-3 on 1d10). There is also a probability that a powerful mutant or mutant creature of 8+1d2 levels or hit dice will be present (roll 1-5 on 1d10). Marauder camps will also have one prisoner per 10 raiders, being held for ransom or used for sport.
About 50% of marauder bands encountered are on foot.

Pirate
Pirates, also called buccanneers, corsairs, and privateers are waterborne thieves and fighters. Pirates may be found on any body of water, whether lake, sea, or river. Pirates raid ships and coastal towns. They may dock in lawless cities that trade with pirates. Pirates often hide their treasure in remote locations, and a leader may have a map to such a location.
Riverine fleets number 3d10 small one to two person watercraft or 2d4 ten person boats (50% chance to encounter either). Lake and coastal fleets roll 1d4 on the following table:
  1. 3d6 small boats (10 crew each)
  2. 2d4 larger boats of the (25 crew each)
  3. 1d6 small ships in the (100 crew each)
  4. 1 large ship that holds (500 crew)
Ocean-going fleets exist that would roll 3d4 times on the above table and combine the results.
Sixty percent of pirates are equipped with stereotypical pirate weapons, and leather armors. The remaining forty percent are better equipped with pistols, sport rifles, shotguns, and tire armor. Captains, Commordores, and Admirals are equipped with SMGs, assault rifles, grenades, and color plate armor. For Sterotypical Pirate Weapons, roll 1d12 to determine what weapon they have: 1 - Belaying Pin, 2 - Boarding Axe, 3 - Grappling Hook, 4 - Cutlass, 5 - Harpoon, 6 - Trident, 7 - Hawaiian Sling, 8 - Boarding Pike, 9 - Speargun, 10 - Harpoon Gun, 11 - Polespear, 12 - Marlin Spike.
Small boats will be equipped with a heavy weapon (roll 1d6: 1 – missile launcher, 2 – grenade launcher, 3-4 cannon, 5 – flame thrower, 6 – machine gun). Larger Boats will have 1d4+2 heavy weapons. Small ships will be armed with 2d4+2 heavy weapons, though they replace flame throwers with torpedo launchers. Large ships will be armed with 1d4x10 heavy weapons (roll once on the heavy weapons table for each ten weapons, with the same selection as small ships (i.e. torpedos).
There is a 4th level mate for every 20 pirates. For every 50 pirates, there is a 5th level quartermaster. There is an 8th level captain for every 100 pirates, who is assited by a 6th or 7th level bosun. Any pirate fleet with more than 500 pirates will have a 11th level, self-styled Pirate King or Admiral. In a group this large the Pirate King may employ a powerful mutant or mutant creature (The Commodore) of 8+1d2 level or hit dice (75% chance).
Any group of pirates may have (60% chance) 1d4 hostages per 10 pirates who are being held for ransom or sport.

Raider
These men are drugged out thugs, gang members, and criminals who have banded together to openly prey on travelers and small settlements. In larger settlements they may form loose confederations of gangs who harass and torment local areas they identify as their turf.
Half of all raiders are poorly equipped with scrap equivalents of blades, clubs, leather armor, and shields. The other half is better equipped with pistols, sport rifles, shotguns, and tire armor. Low level leaders will often be equipped with a special heavy weapon (roll 1d6: 1 – missile launcher, 2 – grenade launcher, 3 – flame thrower, 4 – machine gun, 5 – sniper rifle, 6 – automatic shotgun). Kingpins and bosses are equipped with SMGs, assault rifles, grenades, and color plate armor.
There is one character of 2nd level per 20 raiders. There is one character of 4th level per 40 raiders.
Raider camps will have 5d6x10 inhabitants. They will have a 9th level kingpin as a leader, and there will be one 5th level boss per 100 men. An 8th level mutant human may be present in a camp (1-3 on 1d10). There is also a probability that a powerful mutant or mutant creature of 8+1d2 levels or hit dice will be present (roll 1-5 on 1d10). Raider camps will also have one prisoner per 10 raiders, being held for ransom or used for sport.
About 50% of raiders bands encountered are on foot.

Savage
Savages are insane humans who wander the wastelands, hunting and gathering what they can. They are generally found individually or in small family groups (1d6), but can occassionally be found in larger packs (3d10). 75% are poorly equipped with a scrap dagger, knife, or sling and tattered clothing. The remaining 25% are better equipped, with a scrap bow, axe, or spear and furs.
For every five savages, there is a 2nd level boss with better equipment. For every twenty savages, there is a 4th level leader with better equipment.
About 75% of savages are cannibals.

Trader
Traders are travelling wasteland merchants who deal in a variety of goods and services. To determine the type of trader encountered, roll 1d10 on the following table:
  1. Arms Dealer: These "merchants of death" trade in weapons and ammunition. To determine the specific inventory for each trader in the group, roll 1d20: 1-4 - primitive missile weapons and ammunition, 5-14 - primitive melee weapons, 15-19 - primitive firearms and ammunition, 20 - advanced weapons, explosives, and ammunition. 75% of arms dealers scavenge their weapons, while the remaining 25% have access to weapons and ammunition manufacturing. ML 8
  2. Armor Trader: Armor traders deal in protective gear, selling armor, helmets, shields, as well as possibly other types of protective suits, gas masks, and air filters. About 75% of armor traders construct their armor from scrap or materials harvested from plants or creatures, the remaining 25% actually scavenge their goods. ML 8
  3. Healer: Healers travel the wastes offering their healing services and medicines. 75% of medicines offered are healing plants that have been gathered from the wild or harvested from special gardens, the other 25% have access to more advanced manufactured pharmeceuticals and healing artifacts. There is a 50% chance that the healers encountered are actually drug dealers dealing in more recreational chemicals (of which, 70% are liquor sellers). Half of healers are actually nurses/aides. Healers will be lead by an 8th level doctor. For every four healers, there will be a 6th level surgeon. If there are ten or more healers, there is a 25% chance that a 7th level specialist is present, often a mutant with healing powers, an intelligent plant with healing properties, or a dentist, veterinarian, botanist, or doctor with a medical specialty. ML 6
  4. Water Merchant: As per Mutant Future, page 40 with the exception of number appearing. ML 6
  5. Junk Merchant: As per Mutant Future, page 41 with the exception of number appearing. ML 6
  6. Slave Trader: As per Mutant Future, page 41, with the exception of number appearing. There will be 1d4 slaves per slave trader. ML 9
  7. Transportation Trader: These merchants deal in mounts and vehicles. The most common transportation traders deal in land vehicles, 60% of which have 2d4 riding mounts (25% may have pedaled vehicles like bicycles available as well, while 20% will have access to cybernetic or robotic mounts), and the remaining 40% have 1d4 cars, trucks, and motorcycles. 60% of those found near bodies of water will trade in primitive boats and ships (2d4 available), while the remaining 40% have access to motorized vessels (1d6 available). Aircraft merchants (1d4 aircraft in stock) account for only 10% of all transporation traders, and the majority of them (80%) only provide lighter than air vehicles. Access to military, high tech, or special vehicles (such as submarines) is extremely rare (5% chance). ML 7
  8. Fuel Merchant: The majority (80%) are localized traders who have access to manufactured alternate fuels like still-produced alcohols, bio-fuels developed from farm crops, or gasses such as hydrogen or natural gas. The other 20% of fuel merchants are the middlemen between the few remaining oil refineries and the settlements of the wasteland. Expect the prices of their fuel and services to increase the farther from their sources they get. ML 7
  9. Electronics Trader: A specialist variant of the standard Junk Merchant, these traders deal specifically in electronics goods. 50% of electronics traders also provide power recharging and sale of power sources. ML 6
  10. Robot Merchant: Rarely encountered, robot merchants deal in providing robotic repairs and the occassional robotic unit for sale. Most (60%) are simple commercial or industrial robots, 30% are either manufacturing, medical, or mercantile robots, and the remaining 10% are security or military robots. A robot merchant will typically only have 1d6 robots for sale. ML 7
Half the number of traders encountered are actually merchants, the other half are drovers/drivers. There will be 1d4+2 guards of 2nd level and one 3rd level guard for every trader in the group. The guards are led by a captain (6th-11th level) and a lieutenant one level lower.
The treasure is mostly in trade goods (90%). 60% of most traders have 10 pack animals or one primitive wagon per trader (50% chance of either), while the remaining 40% have access to cars and trucks. Transportations Traders will always have one extra vehicle of the type they trade. Water and Fuel Merchants have a 60% chance of a tanker truck instead of other transportation. Robot Merchants have a 20% chance of having a robotic vehicle.

Tribal
Tribals are members of primitive cultures who survive by hunting & gathering, fishing, or by caring for livestock and farms.
Tribals will typically be armed with clubs, knives, spears, and bows or slings. Most (60%) are unarmored, though they may cary shields (50% chance). Half of those who do wear armor wear fur or bone armor, while the other half can be found in leather armor. Chiefs may wear Thorn Armor or Bark Lamellar, while War Chiefs prefer Bamboo Splint or Beast Scute.
Tribals will be led by a 9th level chief and will have a 5th level headman for every 100 men. For every 10 tribals, there will be an additional 3rd level war leader. For every 30 tribals there will be a 4th level medicine man. A 6th level witch doctor may be in the village as well (50% chance). There is a 25% chance that there will be a powerful 8th level war chief or shaman as well.
Most tribals will trade with people they encounter, but some (10%) are cannibals and live by preying on other tribes and travelers. About 30% of tribals will have riding mounts.

Wastelander
Wastelanders are those poor wretches who wander the wastes just trying to survive. Small bands (1d6+1) my be found hunting, foraging or scavenging. Larger groups (1d6+1x10) may have a camp of portable structures like tents, teepes, or yurts or may shelter in a cave or partially ruined building.
They tend to be unarmored, and have a 50% chance of being armed with a knife, club, or simple spear.
For every 25 wastelanders, an additional 2nd level leader is present. For every 40 wasterlanders, there is a 4th level leader.
40% of wastelanders are addicted to acohol and/or drugs. 20% will tend to be cannibals.