Friday, November 21, 2014

Another 20 Questions: 20 Quick Questions on Rules

Brendan over at Necropraxis came up with this list of 20 house rules/game mechanics questions that I thought it might be useful to have.


1. Ability scores generation method?
2. How are death and dying handled?
3. What about raising the dead?
4. How are replacement PCs handled?
5. Initiative: individual, group, or something else?
6. Are there critical hits and fumbles? How do they work?
7. Do I get any benefits for wearing a helmet?
8. Can I hurt my friends if I fire into melee or do something similarly silly?
9. Will we need to run from some encounters, or will we be able to kill everything?
10. Level-draining monsters: yes or no?
11. Are there going to be cases where a failed save results in PC death?
12. How strictly are encumbrance & resources tracked?
13. What’s required when my PC gains a level? Training? Do I get new spells automatically? Can it happen in the middle of an adventure, or do I have to wait for down time?
14. What do I get experience for?
15. How are traps located? Description, dice rolling, or some combination?
16. Are retainers encouraged and how does morale work?
17. How do I identify magic items?
18. Can I buy magic items? Oh, come on: how about just potions?
19. Can I create magic items? When and how?
20. What about splitting the party?

Just some quick thoughts for post apocalyptic settings.
Question #3 is iffy, depending on the pre-apocalypse tech you want to use, or whether or not you're including magic in the setting.
Question #10 should probably switched to something about gaining/losing mutations.
Question #17 should be replaced with a question about figuring out pre-apocalypse tech.
Question #18 should replace magic items with artifacts/pre-apocalypse tech/energy weapons. Potions should probably be replaced with either vehicle fuel or some other energy resource (i.e. charging power sources or buying power sources).
Question #19 really depends on the pre-apocalypse tech of the campaign.

No comments:

Post a Comment